Review on ‘Dawn On’

Who is online ?
  • Users : 307
  • Latest registered user : BlueTrain
  • Online visitors : 1
  • Visit today : 0
  • Total visit : 65535
Kinoko Written on 23rd October 2017 At 01:13:27

NB The following review represents the opinion of one particular person, not the whole staff of the site.

NB2 The following review was written by Russian person, so if you find any mistake, please contact me via suhaikinoko@gmail.com — I will be very grateful for your help.

On 18th October, the first album of 8otto after six years was released. Its title is ‘Dawn On’. During the past several days I was listening to this and now I can share my opinion with you. So, let’s rock!

Beforehand I want to say that I wasn’t really known with the band’s work: I’ve listened to previous releases couple of times, but I think it was a mistake, because they are worthy—so, I can say that I faced this album when I wasn’t an 8otto’s fan yet. I also have to mention that I’m going to judge by the music and sound, because I cannot analyse the lyrics—I was listening to the album via Spotify, that’s why I had no access to the lyrics, and my low level of Japanese doesn’t allow me to understand the meaning of the song aurally.

I am going to structure my review the following way: first, I outline each song, and then finish with analysis of the whole composition of the record.

1. Ganges-Fox
    This song slowly sets the tone, accelerates us before the following songs. Lovely transitions between light guitar and soft drums and harder sound with prevailing cymbals.

2. SRKEEN
    This song starts more cheerfully, after the slow and warming ‘Ganges-Fox’, it makes us go dancing around our flat, the street, a bus, an underground train, or any other place.

3. Romance
    After lively ‘SRKEEN’ my armour was weakened, so the beginning of this song knocked me out completely, and I felt in love with this recording. Exactly this song let me feel the little aroma of the American rock-scene.

4. It’s All Right
    So, right after I lamented that I found myself completely defenceless towards this album and got subjugated, I hear the words, ‘It’s all right!’ After this track, filled with charming wind instruments, I’ve finally realised that It’s All Right! This song enhances the mood, and you desire to shout out loud, ‘Everything’s all right, people!’

5. Aka to Kuro (赤と黒, Red and Black)
    Third—after ‘SRKEEN’ & ‘Ganges-Fox’—song, that we could listen before the release of the record. Its almost repeating, methodical beats on the bass drum keep you in the rhythm of the album and calm you down after lively ‘It’s All Right’ at the same time. This is an ideal song for the middle of the album.

6.  Rolling
    The beginning of the song confused me a little: the build-up seemed too slow and silent, however, just in twenty seconds a hard guitar, that started to tune up to the right rhythm, came to the place—and after the couple of moments a lively guitar comes and brings us back to the atmosphere of the whole album.

7. Summer Night
    Actually, this song was the least noticeable by me, and I cannot understand that, because it is an outstanding song, especially when we consider it as a part of the album’s composition. Its lightness and cyclicity let us relax for a bit, and interesting guitar decisions don’t let us go until the end.

8. Ai wo Atsumete (愛を集めて, Gathering Love)
    This song continues a tendency of calming, as if getting us ready for something bombing.

9. Mr. David
    This song slightly reminds me of the last Asian Kung-Fu Generation album, but at the same time the beginning of the song and some sound effects gave me a feeling of Bloc Party. Maybe I say something like that because I these two bands are a big part of my musical preferences, but it was something that came to my mind that time. However, notwithstanding such similarities, the song keeps the style and the mood of 8otto exactly, and this is truly awesome.

10. I Wanna Light
    Lively and mind-blowing song, that perfectly finalises the album using its tempo and expression. It leads us to the conclusion — I Wanna Light. As if it says that here it is what we were looking for, what dawned on us — the light. The light that we wanna produce.

I must mention that during the album I heard some resonance of NY band The Strokes and I like this. This feeling was the strongest in ‘Ganges-Fox’, ‘Rolling’ and ‘Ai wo Atsumete’. But again, it’s not like I want to say it’s the bad side, no! This album is the great example of excellent work, that combines something new for the band and keeps the familiar sound. It helps to get more fans alongside retaining old ones.

I want to thank all musicians from 8otto, the producer Masafumi Gotoh (even if it’s so unusual to call him using this title), and all other people who made this brilliant album. I wish you more creative success, express yourself and share your music with us.

Thanks,
an administrator of
Russian Akfgfragments